Sunday, May 3, 2009

3/20/09 Noida, India

Before we came home today, we went for "breakfast."

Manoj showed us how they get alcohol after hours. The shop owner (or at least the person who works there) lives in the shop, so you go up to the roll up door and tap it. The person raises the door slightly and you put your money (including extra) under the door. Then the bottle is pushed out to you. After experiencing this, we experienced "breakfast." Their name for whoever's car contains the alcohol. It's "carobar", which in Hindi, also means business. Ranveer, Monoj, Tracey and I were in Ranveer's car, a dark blue Fiat Paliu. Gurpal and Akhil in Gurpal's white Suzuki Swift. After our purchase, we met at the roadside in an area much like where the office was. We had first rounds and needed more pop. I went w/ Gurpal back to the office to get pop from machine or snack bar. When he came back, I asked if his car was his baby and he dais yes. Then, I asked if I could drive and again, he said yes. It was a short distance back to where we were, so he told me to keep going. The key is the only thing in the same place as a LHD. I tried blinker, but turned wipers on. Hard to get used to driving w/right hand and shifting w/left. You have to think about left/right side of the road too. I think I did ok and Gurpal concurred.

After getting back we stood outside the rest of the time. We had "breakfast" of paratha (stuffed) and omelet. Both bread with cauliflower and egg.

After this, we went back to hotel. I called girls and Cathi and they enjoyed the call. I only slept for about 3 hours and it wasn't enough before we got up for lunch. Then I slept for another hour. Still not enough.

Early to work at 3 for finishing certification and left at midnight.

To bed after calling Cathi to let her know I would not be calling after her work because we would be leaving at 5am for Taj Mahal.

No comments:

Post a Comment